Master of Applied Science in Geographic Information Systems and Spatial AnalysisBachelor with Honours in Environmental Sciences
Natural Resource Management
Operational Support (technical)
Technical Advice & Consulting
Research Support Services
• Remote sensing and GIS applications and research in sea surface and seabed parameters studies, coastal management, land changes studies, habitat suitability modeling, marine reserves design, fish tracking and fish distribution studies.
• Advanced spatial analysis, interpolation (Kriging, spline and others), geostatistic techniques
• Spatial data management, elaboration and conversion, collection on the field by use of GPS, geodatabases.
• Satellite images registration, enhancement, classification and analysis
ENVIRONMENTAL MONITORING / MANAGEMENT / RESEARCH
• Biological and Physical Condition Monitoring / Plan Design / Instrument choice, deployment, maintenance.
• Sea Water Temperature Loggers, Meteorological Stations, Moored Monitoring Buoys and related sensors (PAR, Temperature, CTD, UV, Humidity, Wind etc.) from ONSET Computer, Campbell Scientific, Sea Bird and others.
• Data management and quality control, manipulation of large time series datasets, statistical analysis
• Protected Areas Network Design and Algorithms / Ecosystems Ecology and Conservation
• Benthic Cover and Fish Surveying and Identification, Fish Tagging and Telemetry Tracking
• Environmental Impact Assessment / Environmental Certification
ADMINISTRATION, PLANNING AND COMMUNICATION
Coordination of research and education projects, report and grant writing, budget planning, presentations, lectures, purchase of scientific equipment and supplies.
COMPUTER SYSTEMS • Windows 98/2000/NT/XP/ME (including some administration), UNIX (basic) PROGRAMMING • Visual Basic, ASP, ADO, HTML/DHTML, Java and Visual Basic Scripting, XML, VML • Microsoft Visual Studio and Internet Information Service (IIS) • VB.NET / ASP.NET, ADO.NET • Knowledge of object oriented programming and COM Interop concepts, UML, Visio DATABASES • SQL language (advanced) • RDBMS theory and design • Microsoft Access (mdb, projects, VBA customization), SQL Server 2000 (use and administration), Oracle Spatial GIS Software • ARCGIS 8/9, ARCInfo 7.0x workstation and desktop, ARCView 3.x, Geostatistical / Spatial/3D/ Tracking Analyst • Software customization and development using VB, VBA, MapObjects, ArcObjects, AML (Arc-Info Macro Lang.) • ARC-IMS and Other Map Servers • ARC-SDE (use, tuning and administration) • MAPInfo Professional 7.0, Idrisi • ERDAS Imagine, Idrisi and Er Mapper for image analysis • FME (universal data conversion software), Matlab, Geopathfinder
Region of Study
Mediterranean Sea - Western Basin
Mediterranean Sea - Eastern Basin
North Atlantic Ocean
South Atlantic Ocean
North Pacific Ocean
South Pacific Ocean